How can I fix a corrupted Winsock on Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, or XP Service Pack 1 operating systems?
Note: This solution is intended for Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP Service Pack 1 only. If your Operating System is Windows NT, XP Service Pack 2, or Vista, please do not use this.
If you are using a computer other than the one with the corrupt Winsock, you will need a portable storage media such as a floppy disk or a CD burner and CD-ROM to perform the following tasks.
- Click here to begin the download.
- Click Save on the File Download screen.
- Select your storage media device (floppy drive, CD-ROM drive, etc.) from the Save As screen and click Save.
- The download should begin automatically and may take some time, depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
- If you are using the computer with a corrupt Winsock, select Open from the Download Complete window, otherwise, select Close.
- Insert the portable storage media that you copied the file to into the computer with the corrupt Winsock.
- Double-click My Computer > device where device is the floppy disk drive or CD-ROM drive containing the file.
- Double-click the file named winsockxpfix.exe to install it.
- Click Fix.
- Click Yes.
- When install is completed, click OK to reboot your computer. If your computer does not reboot automatically, please reboot.