Wireless Setup > Items Needed To Setup A Wireless Network
Enabling the SpeedStream 6520 or SE 567's Wireless Capabilities
1. Open your Internet browser and type the web address of the router's firmware, http://192.168.254.254/, into your browser's address bar.
If you find six (6) options under Gateway Options, proceed to Step 3.
If you find only three (3) options under Gateway Options, click GO to the right of the Log In: field at the top of the screen.
2. Log in with the appropriate username and password (frequently, "admin" is both the username and password).
3. In the sidebar window on the lefthand side of the screen you'll see Gateway Options. Click the Home Network icon.
4. When the Home Network window appears, click the Advanced Settings button.
5. When the Advanced Home Networking window appears, select Configure the Local SpeedStream Gateway Wireless Network.
6. When the Wireless Summary window appears, if your wireless network is turned off, you'll see Disabled in the field next to State. Click the Begin Wireless Wizard button at the bottom of the window.
7. When the Wireless Setup Configuration window appears, select the Enable option under Wireless Interface. Enter a name for your wireless network in the SSID field - it can be any name you choose, but it should not contain any sensitive personal information. Select a channel - we recommend using 1, 6, or 11. Click the Next button to proceed with setup.
8. When the Wireless Security Configuration window appears, select WEP 128-bit from the Security Mode drop-down menu. Click to check the box to the left of Enable SSID Broadcast. Click the Next button to proceed with setup.
9. When the Wireless 128-bit WEP Configuration window appears, enter a unique password in the Passphrase field. Click Generate Keys and then click Next to proceed with setup.
Note: Many people are very tempted to use something simple to remember for their password, such as a birthday, phone number, or a pet's name. While it may be easy for you to remember such a password, it is also easy for someone else to guess at your password if they happen to know any information about you.
An example of a "bad" password: smith
An example of a "good" password: 5m1th00
10. No information is required on the Wireless Filter Configuration window. Click the Next button to proceed with setup.
11. No information is required on the Wireless Options Configuration window. Click the Next button to proceed with setup.
12. Click the Finish button.
13. The Wireless Summary window should appear again. In it, you will find your SSID, Channel, and WEP key (Security Key Info).